Lavender Shortbread Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups Butter, softened (or Vegan Butter sticks)*
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Lavender
- Beat together the Butter, white sugar and confectioners’ sugar with a wooden spoon and a bit of elbow grease or an electric mixer — until they form a light, uniform and creamy mixture.
- Stir in the Lavender, (add the mint and lemon zest if you have it, I didn’t on the last batch and it turned out just fine).
- Add the flour, cornstarch and salt; mix until well blended.
- Split dough into two balls, wrap in plastic wrap and flatten to a 1 inch thickness.
- Put in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Either roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness and Cut into shapes with cookie cutters or roll into little balls and flatten them down with your thumb.
- Put on cookie sheets.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until cookies begin to brown at the edges.
- Cool these bad boys for a few minutes on the baking sheets then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
PRO TIPS: -Cookie Stamps will work well on these buttery Lavender-flavored dough after after they’ve been cut into shapes with cookie cutters or biscuit cutters.
-You can also roll the dough into a log, chill, and then slice and bake.