TRIPLE CHOCOLATE SWEET POTATO CUPCAKES
2 tbsp Flax seed meal + 4 tbsp water
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup organic cane sugar
5 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate pieces or chopped dark chocolate
1/2 cup sweet potato puree*
*Sweet potato puree: You can also use canned sweet potato puree or make from scratch. Peel two (2) large sweet potatoes and steam them until soft. Puree the sweet potato with a hand blender or food processor until smooth and even.
Chocolate Sweet Potato Frosting
2 cups of sweet potato puree (approx 1 large sweet potato)
10 ounces ( 1 2/3 cups) semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
Make the Cupcakes:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350’F
Load a 12 tin muffin tray with cupcake liners.
Mix together the flax meal and water, set aside for 5-10 minutes.
Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa/cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
2. To the flax mixture, add the olive oil, almond milk, sweet potato puree*, and vanilla extract; mix until well incorporated.
Add the sweet potato mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until the flour is incorporated.
Mix in the chocolate pieces until evenly distributed, then spoon the batter into each cupcake liner, about 2/3 full.
3. Bake at 350’F for approximately 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and cool completely before frosting.
4. In a medium saucepan, add the sweet potato puree* and heat over medium low until warmed through, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and add in the chopped chocolate stirring continuously until the chocolate is melted and incorporated evenly. Cool the frosting, stirring occasionally, until it reaches room temperature.
5. Spread the frosting on each cooled cupcake and enjoy!
Notes | Frosting is best when made the same day you plan to eat it as it does not maintain its softness past a day.