Baked Vegan Doughnuts
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. nutmeg
½ cup soy or other plant based milk
½ tsp. apple cider vinegar
½ tsp. vanilla extract
Egg replacer for 1 egg (or 2 Tbsp. cinnamon apple sauce)*
¼ cup vegan margarine**
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg with a whisk to mix thoroughly.
3. Combine the milk, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, vegan egg and vegan margarine in a sauce pan over low heat and mix until the margarine is just melted. This mixture should be just slightly warm to the touch.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until combined. It will form a very soft dough.
5. Using a tablespoon, scoop dough into a slightly greased nonstick doughnut pan.
5. Bake for 12 minutes.
Check with a toothpick, it should come out clean.
Allow to cool completely before decorating.
Serves: 10 donuts